There is now an allergy service available at Adelaide Health Care.
Dr Moira McCaul has completed a postgraduate qualification in Allergic Disorders through the University of Western Sydney and is happy to see Children or Adults experiencing difficulties with allergies. Skin Prick Testing and blood testing for allergies will be offered when necessary. Oral immunotherapy for treatment of some allergies can be offered.
You may be suitable for these appointments if you have:
- Hay fever not responding well to usual treatments.
- Asthma where there may be a significant allergic trigger (you may also have hay fever)
- Hard to manage eczema or eczema where there is a suspicion of food allergies.
- A history of a possible allergic reaction.
- Suspicion of any food allergy in a child or adult.
- Concern in pregnancy or early childhood or any time when there is a strong family history of allergic disorders and you want to discuss prevention.
If you are unsure if an Allergy appointment would be useful, please discuss this with your usual GP.
These appointments are not suitable for you if:
- You are already under the care of a specialist Allergist (including public hospital allergy care)
- You have experienced allergies with anaphylaxis (you should be under the care of a specialist Allergist)
- You have multiple or complex food allergies
- You have suspected or confirmed food allergies and severe asthma (you should be under the care of a specialist Allergist)
An initial appointment will cost $204.75 with an out of pocket cost of $99.20.
If you hold a Health Care Card the cost will be $170.35 with an out of pocket cost of $64.80.
Skin prick testing if done is an extra cost of $78.95 with an out of pocket cost of $40.